The Official WL Studio Theatre blog

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Four days



It's late. I should be in bed. Rehearsal starts at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow. But the beer tastes a little too good, and I still need to come down a little from the creative high of finally getting the program 99% done.

And besides, there's only four days until we open, and I still have three more posters to post. Well, two more now.

Three rehearsals left -- two tomorrow, and one on Monday night.

Things are coming together, as they often do, at the last minute. We have a sound man now, which is nice, because that was one of my biggest concerns. I was starting to think I was going to have to run sound on the play, which was terrifying me, because I can't direct from the sound booth, but at the same time I can't leave my actors without sound cues until opening night. They'll have no idea what to expect when, and it would completely throw them off, which is not something you want to do on their first night in front of an audience.

I'm not sure if things are coming together later than they did on Illuminati, or if it's just my brain playing tricks on me because this play seems so much bigger with a cast of 12 instead of a cast of two. Or if it's maybe because when I directed Illuminati I didn't know what I didn't know, so problems left me unfazed because I didn't quite realize they were a problem.

I have, at times, felt overwhelmed on this production, which is always kind of a freaky thing to feel. In way, the whole production was off kilter from the get go, with a ridiculous nightmare trying to fill all twelve roles. And since then it's been a bit of a roller-coaster-ride, with dizzyingly high ups, but also some moments when I was beginning to think that things might just completely fall apart.

But the bottom line is this: We're four days away from opening night, and I have no regrets about doing this. I have no fears about putting this show in front of an audience on Wednesday night. And, just for me personally, I think I'm finally over the last-minute hurdle of "ohmygodtherestoomuchtodoandnotenoughtime." Which is nice.

Look for Poster E in this space on Tuesday night, and the final poster -- Poster A -- to appear here sometime before we open on Wednesday.

Cheerio. Godspeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home