The Official WL Studio Theatre blog

Friday, June 18, 2004

And Now?

Now I've got the go ahead to do "Mary's Wedding". It's a play set in a dream about a love affair in 1916. It's lyrical and moving and funny and not incredibly earnest

But, now I've got to do it. Got to find me some actors, one male, one female. Got to find me a producer, a stage manager, a lighting person, a costume person, some make-up... About the only thing I don't need to find is a sound person, cuz someone volunteered. And he's creating original music and doing the preshow stuff and writing music for underscoring scenes and looking after all the artillery sound effects and... I think I'm up-grading him to co-director.

Which, of course means, that there's now somebody to bounce ideas around with, to negotiate with, to find the meaning behind the scenes in the play. And that I need to learn a new language: music. I can't just say "make it sound pretty". Or "you know, I think that flutes are nice." I've already been told that the instrument range needs to be different than the human speaking voice range, so that we can hear the human. Who knew? So much for flutes, appearantly.

But wait, I haven't told you about the horses yet. Horses are very much a theme throughout this play. When we first meet the characters, they're hiding from a thunderstorm in a barn, quieting a mare. And then they share a ride home, a wild, exhilerating ride. And Charlie rides one into battle, and Mary rides on one all by herself for the first time, and... Well, you can imagine that I just can't put a real horse up there on the stage. Not that it hasn't been thought about. Tossed out the idea of there being an old carousel horse, you know, just kinda hanging around in the barn, and I don't think I want to build one, like San Jose Repertory Theatre did. However cool that might have been.

So, now I'm left with more questions than answers. But, at least I know what a lot of my time is going to be spent doing. And you know, I thrive on answering these challenges. With making this the best it can be. With thinking outside of the "black box" that our theatre is.

It's sure to be a wild ride!


10 Comments:

  • Hey Sheryl-Lynn,

    The Sheridan College theater department did a version of "Man of La Mancha" this past season. For it, they used 2 sctors for the horse and donkey. The masks are suede.

    http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/journalism/sun/nov_11_2003/entertainment_theatre.html

    http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/journalism/sun/nov_18_2003/entertainment_LaMancha.html

    By Blogger Steven Hall, at 5:25 PM  

  • Hey Sheryl-Lynn GREAT title And Now?. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

    By Anonymous equestrian jewelry, at 12:45 PM  

  • Sheryl-Lynn GREAT title And Now?. I am actually looking for horse games related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other horse games related blogs. Thank you.

    By Anonymous Rocking horse, at 11:18 PM  

  • Hey Sheryl-Lynn GREAT title And Now?. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

    By Anonymous horse games, at 10:53 PM  

  • Hey Sheryl-Lynn GREAT title And Now?. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

    By Anonymous Rocking horse, at 4:38 PM  

  • Sheryl-Lynn GREAT title And Now?. I am actually looking for equestrian jewelry related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other equestrian jewelry related blogs. Thank you.

    By Anonymous equestrian jewelry, at 1:39 PM  

  • Hey Sheryl-Lynn GREAT title And Now?. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

    By Anonymous carousel horse, at 3:31 AM  

  • Hey Sheryl-Lynn GREAT title And Now?. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

    By Anonymous horse breeds, at 11:44 PM  

  • Sheryl-Lynn GREAT title And Now?. I am actually looking for horse breeds related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other horse breeds related blogs. Thank you.

    By Anonymous carousel horse, at 9:58 AM  

  • Hey Sheryl-Lynn GREAT title And Now?. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

    By Anonymous horse breeds, at 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home